no bleaching agents
extended shelf life - 30 days refrigerated
what is uni fresco?
Why is it different?
UniFresco is all natural, fresh, sea urchin caviar
packed in Salish Sea water.
UniFresco does NOT contain:
- chemical dyes
- bleaching agents
- water control chemicals
Traditional processing techniques used in Japan use chemical dessicants, dyes, and bleaching agents that change the flavour of fresh uni. They also alter the colour, and add chemicals such as alum, which are illegal additives in the EU and other markets.
uni fresco from?
- Uni Fresco is made from the Pacific Giant Red Sea urchin.
- Pacific Giant Red Sea urchins are the largest and sweetest tasting sea urchins in the world.
- Sea urchins grow in kelp (seaweed) forests.
- These urchins are ravenous feeders and if populations are not controlled, they can destroy valuable seaweed forests. These forests are important for our ocean carbon capture and sustaining marine ecosystems.
SEA URCHINS CAUGHT?
- All UniFresco sea urchins are hand
collected by divers.
- Divers are specially trained to ensure that harvesting is done very carefully. This reduces the impact to the delicate marine environment.
- All divers are independent and work as a fisherman’s COOP.
- The divers and supporting coastal communities are represented by the Pacific Urchin Harvesters Association.
Is uni fresco sustainable?
Yes, UniFresco is sustainable.
Although our fishery is too small to be
MSC certified, it is recognized as being
sustainable by the Monterey Bay Aquarium ”Seafood Watch” program, as well as
the Canadian Oceanwise program.
- UniFresco is made from live red sea urchins.
- Sea urchins are collected along the coast by independent dive fishermen and by First Nation coastal communities.
- Within one day the sea urchins are transported live from the fishing grounds to Vancouver where they are processed into UniFresco.
- UniFresco is ready to be shipped to markets all over the world and generally arrives within 48 hours after the sea urchins are caught.
How is uni fresco
- Sea urchins are brought ALIVE to a Canadian Government inspected sea urchin processing facility. Sea urchins are “cracked” open revealing the precious caviar.
- The caviar is cleaned and all pieces of shell, spines and sea urchin body meat are removed.The sea urchin caviar is then washed in pure Salish Sea water.
- This water is taken directly from the Salish Sea, then sand filtered and treated with UV light.
- The UniFresco is then packed into specially designed trays with fresh Salish Sea water and sealed. UniFresco is then pasteurized to keep the product fresh for 30 days.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH UNI FRESCO?
WHAT CAN I DO WITH UNI FRESCO?
- Use UniFresco right out of the package.
- Excellent for NIGIRI or CHIRASHI sushi.
- Delicious as a garnish or topping on CANAPÉS.
- As an ingredient in CEVICHE.
- Spread on toast or use as a base for a seafood/anti pasta CROSTINI.
- Use as a base for a PASTA SAUCE.
- Use as an ingredient in FRESH PASTA.
- Use in SOUPS or CONSUME.
- Make an UniFresco TAPAS.
WHERE CAN I GET
© 2023 Unifresco. All rights reserved.